Friday, December 5, 2008

Coney Island

Original post date June 20, 2008


I went to Coney Island for the first time; my main goal was to see the Sideshow and the Coney Island Museum. I am fascinated by the Circus Sideshow Freak and all that makes them different, which makes them enchanting. I have a soft spot in my heart for the underdog. Make no bones about it though, the "freaks" of today are no underdogs~ but talented, fearless and mesmerizing performers!

We were lured in by Barkers of yesteryear who peaked our interests by challenging our sensitivities and previewing what was to come. Do we dare? Our Master of Ceremonies was the incomparable and might I add dashing Donny Vomit. (I am a sucker for a handlebar mustache) Donny is a virtuoso of bizarre acts. He graciously juggled knives and romanced fire in between introducing some of his colleagues, the Black Scorpion and Serpentina. I managed to grab Donny for a photo as he was dressed to kill (and break my heart) in turn of the century refinement.



Located upstairs was the Coney Island Museum housing some wonderful historic artifacts. This lovely collection is a timeline of not only Coney Island amusements itself, but of vintage American culture and it's never ending love affair with the shore and seaside attractions. Please check out the links below for more information about the Coney Island Sideshow performances and the Historic Coney Island Museum!






No comments: