Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ziegfeld Theatre

The original Ziegfeld Theatre opened in 1927 in the heart of the theatre district in New York City. This illustrious building was home to the best Broadway had to offer. The Glitterati flocked there as this was the place to see and be seen! Sadly, it was torn down in 1966.

The current Ziegfeld Theatre at West 54th between 6th and 7th stands only a few hundred feet away from the former on the same block, and is a movie house that often sees grand premiers. I was able to snap a few photos as the lobby is adorned with wonderful artifacts and ephemera from the theatre's grand past. Please click on the image to get a better view! You will recognize some famous~ and infamous names!













8 comments:

A said...

Very cool. Have to find a way to get there.

Lesley Ann said...

Thank you for posting! This is something I really want to see when, and if, I ever get back to NYC. There is a gorgeous book entitled JAZZ AGE BEAUTIES I need to buy-many of the photos are of Ziegfeld Girls.

Anonymous said...

You know Lesley, I had a quick peek at a friend's Jazz Age Beauties. I definately need to get one too!

Thriftstoreglitter said...

Wow! These are wonderful. Have you ever been to the Hollywood Museum in the old Max Factor building in Hollywood? It's like an Old Hollywood version of this.

Anonymous said...

Yes I have many times! I used to live in Hollywood. The history is what I miss the most.

argente said...

this is just wonderful! I must go someday!!

Elisabeth said...

Thank you for sharing.. love it !
It's a dream of mine to visit one day. Love Love Love
Lis

Miss Woody said...

gorgeous post !